FAQ's for Bow Valley College: Continuing Education

1. How do I know where my courses will be held?

When taking courses at Bow Valley College, you are assigned a MyBVC username at the time your registration is accepted. This information to login will be sent to you. MyBVC is a student web portal that allows you to access your MyBVC account, announcements, class schedule (includes location for in-class courses), unofficial transcripts, D2L account, college policies and many more student services. You can also make payments, update your contact information and register for courses.

2. Where do I park?

Accessible along 6 Ave SE, just west of 3 St SE, Bow Valley College offers an underground parkade that is heated and securely monitored. View our website for more information at: http://www.bowvalleycollege.ca/campus-services/parking-and-transportation.html

3. Minimum requirements for non-credit courses (Con Ed) (admission requirements)

There are no admission requirements. However, some courses have recommended courses to ensure the student is successful within that course. Note that some of the Health Care courses require you to have a nursing license. Immunization requires that you have completed Intramuscular and Intradermal Injections training. Basic Foot Care requires a clear Police Information Check with Vulnerable Sector search. It is recommended (but not required) that benchmarks of Level 7 English are obtained for listening, reading, writing and speaking to ensure the best possible chance of success.

4. What’s the difference between online study, in-class, homestudy and blended learning?

Online learning is delivered asynchronously (log in to your courses on your own schedule) or synchronously (realtime online, log in to your course at a scheduled class times) through the Internet technology which allows you to study at your own pace from your home, work, overseas, or wherever you happen to be. Students may be required to write exams at the college testing centre. For those students outside of the Calgary, they may write exams at a partner college or arrange to have their exam proctored at an approved location. Online courses generally make use of our learning platform Desired2Learn (D2L) which allows you access to course materials, assignments, quizzes, grades, calendar, email and class discussions using the internet.

In-Class learning is ideal for individuals who prefer an on-campus, classroom setting with a regular schedule and direct instructor support. In-class courses generally make use of our learning platform Desired2Learn (D2L) which allows you access to course materials, assignments, quizzes, grades, calendar, and email.

Homestudy is delivered through learning material that is mailed to your home address. You have the flexibility to progress at your own pace by completing the course material before the scheduled end date. Students may be required to write exams at the college. For those students outside of the Calgary, they may write exams at a partner college or arrange to have their exam proctored at an approved location. Instructors and/or tutors provide support through telephone or email and do not make use of the Desired2Learn (D2L) platform.

Blended learning provides courses that are delivered in a variety of ways including synchronous or asynchronous online, and face to face instruction. Blended courses generally make use of our learning platform Desired2Learn (D2L) which allows you access to course materials, assignments, quizzes, grades, calendar, and email.

5. What if I cannot attend the course?

As soon as you know you cannot attend the course, contact Client Services at clientservices@bowvalleycollege.ca by phone at 403-410-1400 to let us know. There may be a chance your course is offered at a different time, in which case you may be able to transfer your registration. If you need to cancel completely, the refund policy is:

Deadline for Credit Course/Program Refunds

  • Refunds are only made for courses or programs for which the student has notified the academic department of cancelling, dropping, or withdrawing from the course/program on or before the Drop Deadline. For courses that follow the regular term dates, please see Important Dates for the Drop Deadline. For other courses, the drop date is based on 12.5% of the course length.
  • The following fees are 100% refundable if notification is received by the Drop Deadline:
    • Tuition
    • Materials Fee
    • Student Services Fee
    • Students' Association Health and Dental Fee
  • The following fee is 100% refundable if notification is received by the last day before the start of term
    • Students' Association Fee
  • After the Drop Deadline, no refunds will be issued.

Deadline for Continuing Education and Other Non-Credit Course Refunds

  • If the course is one or two days in duration, The Office of the Registrar must be notified of withdrawal by the day before the course session in order to be eligible for a refund.
  • If the course is longer than two days in duration, The Office of the Registrar must be notified by the end of the first day of class.
  • Eligible refunds will result in a 100% refund.

6. Why do courses get cancelled?

Our courses require a minimum enrolment in order to recover the costs of providing the course. If this enrolment is not reached three days prior to the course start date, we unfortunately have to cancel the class. At that time, registrants are notified of the cancellation and are given the option to either transfer to a different offering/course or receive a full refund. Don’t delay - avoid disappointment and register early for your course.

7. What is the process for dropping or withdrawing from a continuing education course?

The drop deadline refers to the last day to drop from courses/programs and still be eligible for 100% tuition refund. The last date to drop a continuing education courses is the date of the first class.

The withdrawal deadline refers to the last day to withdraw from a course in the term with a "W" grade. Withdrawals after this date will result in a "WF" grade. A withdrawal cannot be requested after the program or course has ended. These dates vary depending on the course and can be found in your course information on MyBVC. There is no refund for withdrawals.

To drop or withdraw from a course, please contact Client Services at clientservices@bowvalleycollege.ca or by phone at 403-410-1400

8. How do I book my exam for either an online or home study course?

An Exam Scheduling Request Form is included with your Welcome Email. For online courses with Desire2Learn access, this form will be available for download and additional information will be included as well. If you’re having trouble with booking your exam, please ask your instructor for assistance.

9. What does the number of “hours of study” signify?

This number is the anticipated number of hours for the entire course. The number of hours is generally based on the total number of hours that is spent for our in-class delivery. In other words, the number of hours spent in the classroom would add up to the hours shown for that course. As for the homestudy option, please note that even through the hours of study is listed as an estimate, it would differ from learner to learner since the course is self-paced.

10. Where do I get the required textbook for my course?

Please visit our Bow Valley College bookstore website at http://www.bkstr.com/bowvalleystore/shop/textbooks-and-course-materials.

Select the fields as requested and click "Submit". You should then be able to pull up the required course material for the course and see the price listed as well.

11. Need a copy of your receipts?

Send your request to clientservices@bowvalleycollege.ca or call Client Services at 403-410-1400

12. Need a copy of your unofficial transcript?

Log into your MyBVC account and go to the “Registration”tab and select “Unofficial Transcript”. Note that the unofficial transcript can be used as proof of completion of a course as no certificate will be issued for the completion of a single course.

13. How do I request for my certificate after completing all the courses for the certificate?

Once you have completed all the required courses, you may request your certificate by emailing the respective Continuing Education department looking after your certificate.

14. Are Continuing Education Courses eligible for a tax receipt?

Students in non-credit continuing education, English Language Learning (ESL), and academic upgrading courses are not eligible for a tax receipt. Students in full-time and part-time credit programs receive forms, as per CRA guidelines. Please see our website for further information at: http://www.bowvalleycollege.ca/T2202A

15. What are the minimum software requirements for AutoCAD courses?

Recommended minimum system requirements include:

  • Operating system - Microsoft Windows 8/8.1 or Microsoft Windows 7
  • CPU with a minimum Intel® Pentium® 4 or AMD Athlon™ 64 processor
  • RAM (Memory) of 4 GB (8 GB recommended)
  • Display Resolution of 1024x768 (1600x1050 or higher recommended) with True Color Display Card
  • Windows display adapter capable of 1024x768 with True Color capabilities.
  • Disk space available for installation up to 6.0 GB
  • Pointing device with a preference of a 3 Button Mouse with Center Wheel

*These courses are designed for Windows PC, and although a MAC can used, it is very difficult for students to use the AutoCAD course material. As well, the instructor is not able to help those students having problems with software compatibility with a MAC computer.

*Software is not provided. However, if you are a student registered in any AutoCAD or Autodesk Inventor courses, you will be eligible to download the student software free of charge from the Autodesk website.

16. How do I contact my online course instructor?

Your online instructor is not located at the Bow Valley College campus so you cannot come to campus to meet. You need to contact your instructor by email from your course in D2L. At the top of your course page in D2L, click on “Communication” and then “email” and choose your instructor’s name from the address list.

17. Can a new graduate of the Practical Nurse Diploma Program with a temporary CLPNA license take the Immunization course?

You can take the Immunization course with your temporary license.

18. Other department webpages at Bow Valley College that may provide you with more information.

International Education

Centre for Excellence in Immigrant & Intercultural Advancement (CEIIA) – re: English Language Learning (ELL)